I am a traveler. I love to see different places, to go outside of my little circle of the world, outside of my comfort zone. I have not left Mobile or its surrounding areas since June of last year. I mean I did have a baby and due to circumstances out of my control I did not leave my house for 3 months except on the occasional outing. We are going on a family vacation in June to the mountains and I cannot explain how excited I am about this event. The last time we were in the mountains I was pregnant and could not do much and plus I think I was beginning to feel the effects of my high blood pressure. I want to pass on my love for travel to my daughter as well. I believe that every American should go abroad...whether it be to Europe or Asia..South America or Africa...just to see that there is a huge world out there other than our country. You really do appreciate where you come from but you also learn to walk in other peoples shoes when you visit their home. Some places I would like to see again or for the first time are:
1. I must see Western Europe again ( I visited in 1995 as a Senior in high school but I would love to see it through the eyes of an adult and I would love for David to see it) by Western Europe I am talking about Great Britain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Austria.
2. Ireland-I mean what red-blooded American would not like to see Ireland..I think 95% of the people I talk to are of Irish descent.
3. New York City-the hustle and bustle of the big city...I would love to see a Broadway show and to see FAO Schwartz (my childhood fantasy of playing chopsticks on the giant piano a la BIG has always been a dream of mine.)
4. China-I am currently taking a class called Modern China, this is truly one of the most fascinating countries in the world. I think Americans have a preconceived notion about Asia in general (I know I did) but taking this class really opened my eyes to what a diverse and complex people the Chinese are and I would like to experience that first hand.
5. Russia-"Hello my name is Melanie and I am history junkie." Most people would say yuck..who would want to see that thoroughly depressing place? Russia has a wonderfully interesting history--yes most of it is very dark but Russia has a haunting mystery from its architecture to its religion.
(the last two are completely coincidental--I am not a "commie" although Russia says it is not a communist country anymore.)
6. Washington DC-of course I want to see our Nation's capitol! This is a travelers dream..monument after monument..the Smithsonian--I would be in hog heaven. David and I are actually working on this for next year, my friend Martha lives in Richmond, VA and she is just a hop skip and a jump away from D.C, Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown Battle Field..so Martha watch out here we come!
Enough ramblings...just thought I would share.

No comments:
Post a Comment