Today we took Kaitlyn to see a neurologist, Dr. Lopez to be exact. When Kaitlyn was 7 weeks the doctors did a routine cranial scan to check her brain as they do with all premature babies, especially as early as Kaitlyn was....it came back with her having what is called PVL Grade I. PVL stands for periventricular leukomalacia which is laymens terms is damage and softening to the white matter of the brain it can be a precursor for cerebral palsy. We got the diagnosis and we were upset for about a day and then we took to raising Kaitlyn and seeing our tiny little baby become a thriving toddler. Our pediatrician..the wonderful Dr. Elizabeth Smith wanted us to have a follow-up MRI done and we did that on July 31...the results were just the same...PVL Grade I. She then wanted us to go see a neurologist who is a specialist in this field and we did so today. Dr. Lopez was very nice and basically said Kaitlyn is doing GREAT!! He said her MRI is not normal per say, her ventricals are large but he said that it was nothing major. When he said, "Your daughter is just fine" I wanted to jump from my chair. He did suggest that we talk with Dr. Elizabeth about maybe getting her some PT because she is not walking yet, but that they may say she does not need it or we may go for a couple of sessions and the therapists will say she does not need to come anymore.
When we made the appointment I just told myself no matter what the diagnosis she is Kaitlyn and she is my little girl and nothing will ever change that but as we got closer I started to think what if she is diagnosed with cerebral palsy?? I got apprehensive...I am not an overly religious person but Kaitlyn is living proof that there is someone or something somewhere on her side and on ours...she is a dream come true and we try to face each little hurdle with courage and faith. As my friend Mary Helen said, "I knew that baby was right as rain" and she is.

4 comments:
This is the cutest picture ever! She is fearfully and wonderfully made!!!
She is a miracle, a precious, precious child. Looking forward to the Pumpkin Patch! Gran
That made me cry! I knew the day she was born she was going to be "right as rain." Love,
MH
wonderful wonderful news
Post a Comment